It’s important that your child follows the orthodontist’s advice on what foods to avoid while wearing braces right? You know that it effects their treatment outcome and can keep you from running back to the office when brackets break off or wires are loose after they ate something they shouldn’t have.
More importantly, we also know that as a parent you have enough to think about and completely changing what you pack in your kid’s lunch doesn’t need to be one of them!
The great news is that packing lunches for braces isn’t as hard as it seems! Here is a quick guide to make packing those lunches a breeze!
Quick grab items:
- Apple sauce (we love the Costco, no sugar added)
- Soft cheeses like string cheese, cottage cheese, laughing cow cheeses or brie (helpful hint if you have other cheese types that aren’t as soft – slice it nice and thin!)
- Cut or shred chicken breasts
- Cut chicken nuggets into small pieces
- Tuna salad
- Egg salad
- Hard boiled eggs
Helpful hint – if you make a sandwich it can help to use soft bread and cut off the crust.
Other braces friendly foods:
- Soft cooked rice, quinoa or couscous
- Soft tortillas with cream cheese and meat
- Carrot ribbons
- Dairy – yogurt, pudding, soft cheeses
- Steamed veggies
- Soft fruits – melons, grapes, oranges, kiwi
- Non-tough meats – lunch meats, meatballs, soft-cooked meats like chicken
- Seafood – tuna, salmon, fish without bones, etc.
- Light crackers or cookies
- Peanut butter (not super sticky or crunchy) and jelly
- Spaghetti, macaroni & cheese and other noodle dishes
While wearing braces, you should maintain a healthy, nutritious diet – it’s important for not only your teeth but your overall health! And remember, your teeth are more susceptible to cavities when you have braces. So avoid eating a lot of sugary foods or drinks (especially soda!). If you have any questions about foods to avoid with braces, check with your doctor!
Be sure to check back to our blog for other recipes we post throughout the year. We love helping families come up with braces friendly meals. Do you have a fun braces friendly recipe to share? Please leave it in the comments below – we would love to hear from you!
Are you ready to begin your journey to a beautiful, natural smile? Click HERE to schedule a FREE CONSULTATION with Molen Orthodontics!